Written by Dr Hameed Rafiee, RCR (Royal College of Radiologists)
What inspired you to take the role?
I have always been passionate about teaching and training and this was the perfect way for me to get involved. I also trained at Norwich Radiology Academy myself, so I wanted to give something back to the Academy for making me the radiologist I am today.
What new teaching developments /programmes running or intending to?
We have introduced a new leadership and management programme at the Academy for senior trainees, as well as a new cardiovascular block during the core modules in years 1-3. We run many educational courses at the Academy, ranging from travelling professors, pre-on call courses, pre-exam courses, interventional radiology courses and many others. We are currently in the process of restructuring the core training programme to create a smoother flow of learning during years 1-3.
Synopsis of the department?
The Norwich Radiology Academy is one of three radiology academies set up to help increase the number of radiologists across the country. The Academy model of training has a very clear focus on training, and even service provision is structured in a way to facilitate training.
What it has to offer?
The Norwich Radiology Academy is a building dedicated to radiology training, with a large PACS reporting room, a skills lab, three seminar rooms, and its own administrative staff who help facilitate the training programme.
What are the advantages of trainees coming to us?
- Dedicated training facilities in the Academy, and a calm place to report away from the busy main hospital site
- A structured training programme covering all of the important areas of radiology
- A large cohort of trainees offering the opportunity to make many friendships
- A reduced frequency of on calls compared to most radiology training schemes, due to the large cohort of trainees
- Four out of five years of training at a single site (Norwich)
- A large faculty of educators who are all passionate about training
- Access to many physical and electronic educational materials provided by the Academy
What extra can we offer?
- A cup of tea and a chat whenever you need it.
- The fantastic city of Norwich and beautiful county of Norfolk to explore!
For more information and also to see current vacancies follow the link below.More information & vacancies